Maga, Firstu settle aagbeku - The unsettled Bachelor

As the rays of sun crawl through the window, I wonder in dissent, do I really need to get up and get going?. Get going? where? Oh wait! I am unemployed. As reality sinks in, I slowly curl myself with the blanket and roll on the bed to further induce myself with sleep. There are many perks of being unemployed and being lazy is definitely one among them. Well, that basically means its Sunday everyday and my day starts with Brunch. 

As I slowly gulp the remaining milk from my cereal bowl, I turn to my phone and take my daily dose of social media. It is so fascinating that I can sit in my room and know what my friends are up to. The Facebook feed provides the right amount of information. As I scroll I wonder how much smart these systems are getting over time. However, in the recent past there has been a trend emerging in my feed. Far more than often, I have seen myself typing congratulatory messages on posts. Being active on social media at the age of 27, a majority of the posts that I see these days are about my friends who are stepping into the institution called marriage. Yes! Everybody is getting married; your high school crush, your ex-girlfriends, your neighbors son and also your recent crush. Oh.. and you remember that cute girl whom you met at a recent party, even she got married. While I am genuinely happy for those newly weds, I sit and ponder what were these guys thinking before making such decision.

Millennial's that's what the baby-bloomers calls us. It seems like only yesterday that I stepped into my engineering college. I was just 18 and had such high aspirations of what life would be after engineering. I always imagined having a 7 digit salary, a luxury car and a spacious apartment in one of the posh areas of Bangalore. Now when I recall, I thought earning an engineering degree was the key to being settled in life. Naive thinking, right? well, that's because nobody told what it is actually like in the real world. Everybody has their own definition of being settled, but invariably there are three things always associated with it; they are; money, family and career. We always want to keep advancing in these areas, be it good appraisals, better standard of living or the desire to snatch that dream job. By the time we know, we are in a race with time to achieve success in life. A success that cannot be quantified, measured over some metrics or that which has a cook-book.

A decision such as marriage needs thoughtful consideration. It should not be influenced by peer-pressure or societal norms. In my perspective, one should not divorce herself/himself from the goals that was set while deliberating on the topic called marriage. Over last few years, I have found myself being horrified by the thought of getting married. Some of my close friends that are married have provided me their advice to get married soon, most of which are based on the biological time and societal norms. However, I tend to distance myself from this thought, where I tend to watch Netflix and do nothing (chill ;)). As I continue to watch the last episode of Person of Interest', I get a call from my school buddy. After all the bullshit that we talk, he slowly says, "Maga... Do you remember Rahul from 'D' section?". Before I could even remember who that Rahul was my friend says, "Avandu madhwe next week, Nindu yavaga?". I take a deep sigh and say, "Maga, firstu settle aagbeku kano".


Comments